Monday, February 27, 2012

QIHU: The Option Fiasco

I'm not in the right frame of mind for trading because of other commitments and am not planning on taking new positions for a couple of weeks.    However, I have open positions that I am managing.  

For QIHU, I have June 15 puts.  Because the puts were expensive due to the fraud allegations I put on nearly a 2 R trade.  That's too much for an options trade and the stock rallied after earnings.   I decided to hedge that risk by selling some June 17.5 puts (fewer than my June 15.)    I don't see much risk in this closing between  15 and  17.5 in june.  Either the growth story is believed and the stock takes off, or the fraud comes to light and this crashes.     

However,  in my haste to put on the spread, I sold the June 17.5 calls.  for 3.80.  (like I've said I'm distracted with other commitments)  I caught my mistake once I reviewed the trade log.  Selling the calls  and being long puts was a very bearish bet, which I wanted to avoid.   I immediately put in a limit to purchase for 3.70, which was filled after 15 minus.    So long story short, I made .10.      It was a "win" for the wrong reason.


Chart observation.   Doji  at the 200 MA, also looks like a selling zone on the chart.   I wouldn't be surprised to see consolidation if it goes higher, or a complete reversal if  the sellers take control.

No comments:

Post a Comment